Monday, May 14, 2007

Happy Mudder's Day- I not a baby anymore

I had an awesome Mother’s Day. We went to church, breakfast with Dave, Kelly and girls, then back to baptism. Then we came home, took familly naps, went to Olive Garden for dinner (yummy!) and back home for family campfire time. At dinner, Little Man and Daddy went to “wash their hands” and came back with a package from the car. It was a bracelet and a stained glass memory box. All day long, Little Man kept saying “It’s your party Mommy! We eat cake?”

When we were tucking Little Man in last night, after we prayed, he said (out of the blue) “I not a baby anymore” in the most matter-of-fact way possible. I couldn’t help it, I cried. I know he’s not. But he’s still my baby.

I’ve been crying a lot lately on the loss of my baby. I know, like hubby said last night… “Look at it as an accomplishment… you got him from a baby to a boy! You’re the parent of a boy now! You did it!” I know that’s true, but I find myself wanting to hold on to every second of these precious days of my little guy. Every day, bits of his babyhood seem to escape me… the chubby cheeks are slimming up, the rolls on the thighs are long gone, he has long since stopped fitting easily into my lap. And he’s only 2! But he’s tall, and I’m short. I love the little hands, the little feet… He’s not potty trained yet. That is the one thing left that I’ll be glad to see progress on though. I’m not digging those stinky diapers, the how expensive they are once you get to the big sizes.

Anyway, random rumblings on a post Mother’s Day Monday.

No comments: